The last few weeks I have been playing around with the idea of starting to make homemade bread instead of buying bread in the store. After all this was what we always had growing up. I have lots of memories of coming home and Mom just pulling out the bread from the oven and us kids getting a slice of warm bread with butter and honey on it for a afternoon snack. And every so often when we would get home mom wouldnt be only pulling out bread from the oven but also homemade cinnamon rolls. I have lots of good memories of not only eating these delicous foods but also of being in the kitchen helping mom make them. I just wish that I would have paid a little more attention when I was helping Mom. There are alot of things I am now wanting to do now that I am a wife and mother. But slowly I have started picking Moms brain and learning how to do these things. I know it would have been easier to have her teach me when we lived close to each other. But when I lived at home there was other things on my mind.....like finding a husband, having fun with friends etc. I had no idea that when I finally did find myself a good husband he would move me all over the United States. Making it hard for me to spend the day with my mom having her teach me how to do all of these things. So this is what i do.... I attempt what ever it is I am wanting to learn how to do......and call Mom many many many times asking questions like.....Why is it like this? I dont remember it looking like this? Is it supppose to do this? But I tell you I must be the luckest girl in the world cause no matter what when I call Mom to ask her a question she will always take a few minutes to answer questions or tell me what to do next. No its not like having her in the kitchen teaching me how to do it....but it is second best. And I know that there is no way that I would have ever made it as a pioneer going across the plains and not being able to pick up the phone and call Mom.
So anyways here is proof that yes I finally gave it a try.


My boys (all 3 of them) loved it. Thomas came down stairs with his nose in the air saying " Mom something smells so good...what is that good smell". And when I pulled the bread out of the oven I had 2 little boys there wanting some hot bread. Just like when I was a little girl watching mom take the bread out of the oven. Then when I pulled the cinnamon rolls out of the oven i had two little tasters by my side agian. Adam got home from work and as soon as he walked in the door headed straight for the kitchen tasted the homemade goodies and said "so no more store bought bread right." I guess you could say the homemade bread and cinnamon rolls were a hit and we can say goodbye to the store bought stuff.
I am so lucky that I had a Mom that made this for me when I was growing up. Im so lucky that I have such a great Mom that doesnt mind me calling her a thousand times during the day asking her questions or just to talk when I am a little homesick. Im so lucky that I have a Mom that has inspired me to be a better wife and mom. Wanting to be more like her when I grow up. Im so lucky to have such a great relationship with my Mom. Im so lucky that I have a Mom that showed me how much fun it could be spending the day in the kitchen making such good food. It was really neat today when the bread was baking all of the memories that came rushing back by the smell of the bread baking. And im so greatful that my Heavenly Father knew just what kind of Mom I needed when he sent me to my family. I hope that my own kids look back some day and feel these same feelings for me. I love you Mom and thank you for everything that you have taught me and still teach me. I dont know what I would do with out you in my life showing me how to do even the littlest things in life. I Love you Mom!!!
3 comments:
MMMM - I love it! We do homemade bread at our house too, it just makes me feel so warm and cozy inside watching my familt eat!
how yummy! That's great that you try new thing and are a little baker! I am so not into cooking we eat out alot and I buy the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls LOL! That was so sweet everything you said about your mom I feel the same way about my mom and I miss my mom so much being so far away from her too!
Hey Heather,
I'm so glad you came across my blog. I haven't been keeping it up lately as well as I should. What an adorable family you have, and the baked goods look yummy!
Post a Comment